Monday, August 30, 2010

Live a little.

Day Two. We awoke at ten this morning (after dropping dead at 8pm). I wonder if our jet-lag is still with us.

We made it SOMA (south of Market) for "breakfast" at 1pm. A little Googling led us to Blue Bottle Coffee, a hidden un-signposted, St Ali-esque coffee nirvana/cafe. Mike enjoyed thick cut toast with the MOST delicious strawberry jam I have ever tasted, while I greened it up with a Little Gem (trans. Cos lettuce), poached egg and heirloom tomato salad. The coffee was moreish, but being late in the day already, we had to stop at one. The line of drooling customers that threatened to creep around the block also put us off another round.

After we realised we didn't actually have plans for our four days in San Fran we hot-tailed it to Borders and, like any good food lover sussed out the foodies section. We bought a book called The Tablehopper's Guide to Dining and Drinking in San Francisco a cheekily written guide with smart section titles like "Shituations" or "Ladies who Lunch like Dudes". The only thing it's missing is maps showing where everything is. We pawed the pages for an hour trying to find the locations on our dog-eared tourist map. Not tourist friendly, I guess not everything is meant to be. *sigh*

We indulged with a film in the afternoon. I wouldn't mention the title... but must- only as a warning. Eat Pray Love was cloying to say the least. Roberts owes a lot to her childhood orthodontist. Please! No! No more teeth!

Back in China Town we had a late dinner at the very-un-chinese-sounding Broadway Cafe, aptly named on Broadway Blvd. It was CHEAP, fast and authentic (Cantonese I think?!). By CHEAP I mean really. US$4.75 for a bowl of wonton noodle soup, packed with seafood, fresh baby bok choy and aromatic broth. We had a suprising stand-out dish of XO green beans, I could have finished the plate myself and I probably would have had Mick let me. Oh! I almost forgot, I had a glass of the freshest of fresh watermelon juice (US$1.75). Practically life changing. Have you seen the exchange rate lately? I don't know how they do it.

With J.W and M.J.H in the back of my mind I convinced Mick we needed to live a little. We headed for a local dive, Li Po Bar on Grant St. A small Chinese cocktail bar up top, with a legit underground soul/Rhythm & Blues/breakdancing club downstairs. We had a couple of beers upstairs before sampling their famous Mai Tai (with "secret" ingredient- Chinese Whiskey) and and heading downstairs. Think First Floor crossed with Cherry Bar with the added attraction of free-pouring bar staff and fewer lights.

As we left the harmonies of a capella beat-boxing and rapping trailed behind us.

xo.



No comments:

Post a Comment